送交时间:2005/07/07 07:52
武汉大学校友论坛
(www.wuda-alumni.org)
加跟贴 加新贴

武汉大学校友论坛
难忘珞珈
湖医87级研究生 湖医79级 湖医88级
寻人购物区

San Antonio hotels on an easy to search map, best internet price.

Search Now:
Amazon Logo

Salary and grant money in US school

zt 贴于2005/07/07 07:52 (武汉大学校友论坛)

Since I am a professor (Chinese) in a basic science department in a medical school with 3 ongoing R01 NIH grants, I may be able to answer some of your questions about salary. I spend a little time to share my experience because, I thought, it may be useful and helpful to our Chinese community.

1. Whether and how much a PI's salary can get from the NIH grant is depending upon the school's policy and the nature of appointments. Different schools have different salary structures. In general, they include, but not limited to, the following situations. First, for the non-tenure-track positions, such as those research track positions (research instructors, research assistant professors, and so on), their salaries may come from the NIH grant on a 100% basis. A grant loss usually means the end of their appointments if other alternative mechanisms can not be found and implemented timely. Second, for the tenure-track positions, their base salaries will be paid by the school and no money can get from the grant to supplement their base salary no matter how many R01s they have. This is the current policy in my school. However, when budgeting the grant, PIs are still required to budget their salaries according to the effort rate, and if funded, salary money will be taken away by the school or given back to the PIs for the other uses. Third, in contrast to the second situation, in some schools, even tenure-track faculty members have to generate their salaries by themselves at different rates. In this case, salaries for these faculty members consist of the two parts: school's contribution and faculty's contribution. Usually, when a faculty member losses the grant (raining days), school will make up to pay his/her full salary for 1-3 years (so-called a grace period). After the grace period, school will start to pay only school's contribution. Finally, in many schools, there exists a so-called incentive salary program to reward these faculty members who get funding outside. Faculty can supplement their base salary at a 10%, 20%, or 30% basis by using their NIH grants. For instance, if a faculty is getting a $100,000/year, s/he can use his/her grants to get an additional $20,000/year at a 20% rate to make a total annual salary up to 120,000. In US medical schools, most faculty have an 11- or 12-month appointment. However, in some cases, school can give a faculty 9-month appointment to allow the faculty to use the grant money to supplement two additional month salary.

2. Personal salary inxxxxation was used to be a secret. However, it becomes more and more a consensus that this inxxxxation should be public. There are different legitimate ways to get the salary inxxxxation about your boss and any co-workers. The info is very important for you to discuss with your boss about your starting economic package and future salary raise. In some schools (such as all state-run universities in South Carolina), they even publish the data online about annual salaries for all and every faculty and staff in the system. So, it is easy to search salary inxxxxation for anyone in these schools. Some schools publish a book annually to report everyone's salary in the school. You usually can find such a book in school's or university's library. Finally, you can know your boss's salary by inquiring the grant office or business office in your school. If you ask nicely, they may give you the inxxxxation if it is considered public inxxxxation in your school.

The salary case can be so individual-oriented. So, when we talk about the salary for a given rank or school, we need to view it with a statistical eye, but not an individual case. I hope that this long writing will not bore you or any other readers. (cocaine)

加跟贴〗 〖校友论坛索引首页

Male X BOOSTER是不含“伟哥”成份的“伟哥”:纯天然,更自然,更安全。